Name:
Location: Bay Area by way of the 619, United States

Monday, December 01, 2008

Get tough!!

As I write this, I am wearing a Van Damme t-shirt, I am chewing Copenhagen Tabacco ( or tabacky) I have a brand new barb-wire tatoo, and a Tapout beanie!! Yeah, right, I really have on a tank top and some Homer Simpson pajamas. Yes sir, pajamas. That is how I roll. Shamelessly! Anyhow, I am going to put this blog out based on something I saw recently. Whether you are a hulking brute or a tender flower, toughness should be a part of every martial artist's life. I dont mean like those idiots who do back-yard wrestling and beat each othe with barb-wire covered bats. They are not tough. They are just so devoid of skill that they will do anything to get attention. They are just reckless.

When I say tough, I am speaking of mental toughness. Toughness is often enough to get you through an obstacle, even if you feel like you are fighting an uphill battle. Toughness is what almost every single successful person has relied on at some point in their life. Whether it be in the dojo, the classroom, or in the board-room, mental toughness should be a key component to your success and achievement in life. Bill Gates is mentally tough, as is Donald Trump, Michael Dell, Steve Bell, and a whole host of other super successful people, in and out of the spotlight.

What got me thinking of mental toughness was the dedication of two people in particular: Ryoko Tani and Shizuka Murakami. For those of you do Judo, you should know who Ryoko is. For the uninformed, Ryoko is one of THE best female judoka in history. She is a multiple World and Olympic Champion. If you get a chance to check her out on youtube, you should do so.

Shizuka is less well known, but still someone spectacular. She is a FIERCE kyokushin competitor who has laid waste to the women who have competed against her. She definetly shows that you cannot judge a book by their cover.

At a staggering 5 feet, Shizuka is the TALLER of the two. But their spirit and mental toughness make them giants in the world of martial arts. I mean ALL martial arts, not just the women. Time and time again, they have shown what toughness is all about. I have seen them injured, fatigued and hurt, all the while pressing ahead into the fray. Many people would dismiss them as two cute little ladies who play martial arts. That is a BAD underestimation. As a World Champion and Olympic Champion judoka, Ryoko is one of THE most highly skilled people walking this Earth. And while Shizuka does not have the official credentials on her resume that Ryoko does, she is also one of the most skilled competitors in the world.

When I see them train, that something inside of me starts to throb. That thing makes me want to kick harder, do 25 more crunches, or get deeper into my kata. It makes me want to sweat until my gi is drenched, and train until I am seeing stars. I recommend that all of you re-examine why you do what you do. As a martial artist you should do this a lot. If not, look deep inside yourself. Commit yourself just one more time to training harder and faster than you ever have. Get tough folks! And thank those two ladies for the inspiration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home