Name:
Location: Bay Area by way of the 619, United States

Thursday, July 08, 2010

Never enough time

Folks,

I love this one. Regardless of where you are in your martial arts journey, be sure of the fact that there is a lot more to learn. I have been in this business at this point for 32 years. And one thing that I can tell you for sure, is that I have only scratched the metaphorical tip of the knowledge iceberg. For example, for years I thought that Muay Thai was the premier type of kickboxing in South East Asia, and that it originated in Thailand. Turns out, there is a great deal of evidence that Pradel Sarey and Lethwei are even older. I guess an old dog (me) can learn new tricks.

Anywho, my point is that there is a LOT more knowledge out there than you think. Now any serious martial arts fanatic can tell you that the Yakuza ( minus two point if you dont know who they are) sliced off a portion of their pinkies. Now, most people think that it was as an act of devotion and obedience. And it was. But do you know why the pinkie? I do. And if you want to know, you will have to put comments on this post. HA-HA! Neener-neener! I am not telling.

Now, I have done a lot of arts. My base art is old school Kenpo ( recognize) but I have serious experience in Muay Thai, Jiu-jitsu, Sambo, Kali, Judo, Boxing and Wrestling. But in the near future, I am going to look for more. I am thinking of Kung-Fu, Capoeira, and perhaps Kendo. Whatever it is, it is going to keep me busy, for a while anyway. The point is, when out caskets drop, hopefully we will have had a full, full-filling life. But when that day comes, one thing is for sure, we wont have learned everything.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

well spoken Anthony,, I learned pradel sarey directly from Grand Master Nyuguen Tung,, it is older than Thai boxing,, and has extremely strong roots coming from Chinese wushu,, and from what I understand I'm 1 of the only Americans to ever learn this directly from a Cambodian grandmaster,, I too have roots in kempo,, as well as many other styles,, and currently hold 5th degree black belt,, your post was well appreciated,, keep up the good work.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

well spoken Anthony,, I learned pradel sarey directly from Grand Master Nyuguen Tung,, it is older than Thai boxing,, and has extremely strong roots coming from Chinese wushu,, and from what I understand I'm 1 of the only Americans to ever learn this directly from a Cambodian grandmaster,, I too have roots in kempo,, as well as many other styles,, and currently hold 5th degree black belt,, your post was well appreciated,, keep up the good work.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

well spoken Anthony,, I learned pradel sarey directly from Grand Master Nyuguen Tung,, it is older than Thai boxing,, and has extremely strong roots coming from Chinese wushu,, and from what I understand I'm 1 of the only Americans to ever learn this directly from a Cambodian grandmaster,, I too have roots in kempo,, as well as many other styles,, and currently hold 5th degree black belt,, your post was well appreciated,, keep up the good work.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home