Name:
Location: Bay Area by way of the 619, United States

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

How to make your training more real.

Now folks, this may seem like a garden variety rant, created by a self-absorbed zealot. Well, I am certainly a zealot, but not as self-absorbed as I used to be. Listen up, I must apologize. The majority of my posts have been about how the martial arts world is lacking. I have screamed and hollered about how the martial arts worlds needs a shot in the arm called reality. Or you could call it practicality. But I have fallen short after that. I have failed to give some clear concise ways on how to add a little reality to your sports-oriented training.

For the kickers and punchers out there, I want to start with you. Not because I am picking on you, but someone has to go first, correct? So here we are. In a lot of the schools that I have observed(and there have been many) I notice that there is a lot of wasted motion as it pertains to footwork. Oftentimes, two combatants will move around the dojo floor as if space will always be abundant. So my first recommendation is this: Allow yourself only a very limited amount of space. Draw a circle or square on the mat that is rougly the size of a parking space. Then have the rest of the class stand around the sparring area with kicking shields to act as physical barriers.

This drill often does two things immediately. The first is that you realize that there is often a claustrophobic effect the will come over you. You find yourself WANTING more space. You may find yourself panicking, or punching and kicking in a way that is not effective. Kicking in and of itself will become a different thing. You may find that our bread and butter kicks will not get you the results that they used to :)

And for you grapplers, this is where I am all over ya :) How about instead of your comfortable HCK gi pants, you try to grapple in a pair of jeans. Or how about throwing some empty coke bottles and other kinds of light debris on the mat? Put your wallet in your pants, not your cell phone because it will break. How about trying to grapple in your heaviest pair of shoes? You will find in a hurry, like I did, that your sensitivity in your feet is a large part of your grappling skills.

More importantly, try this, practice getting the clinch and takedown in between two cars. Pulling guard is not an option is it? Try establishing a firm mount on concrete. Or how about your training partner? Being mounted on the hard ground is not a whole lot of fun. But hey, this is what real training is about isnt it? Well folks that is it for me. Holler at ya later.

1 Comments:

Blogger James said...

great post! thank you for the suggestions. you posted this a while ago, but i've been slowly adapting some of this stuff to my own practice (now i will often try to keep a match to within a couple paces of where it starts).

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home