Name:
Location: Bay Area by way of the 619, United States

Monday, April 22, 2013

The make-believe in Martial Arts

Folks,

This one kinda touches a ternder spot in my heart. Not becomes I am such a tender guy, but because touches my heart is a nicer expression than pissing me off. I hear "martial artists" talking about how such and such technique will work exactly as taught. Then I hear something like "well this isnt supposed to work, but it gives you a framework on how to use it in a real situation." So they are teaching you a technique that doesnt work, but if you practice it enough, it will. In a sense, it is theoretical learning.

Have you heard of a swimmer learning how NOT to swim in order to learn how to swim? Have you ever heard of a boxer learning a theoretical jab in order to learn to jab in a match? Lunacy right? But that is exactly what is going on in the martial arts world. If you look on youtube and find Casa de Kenpo, you can find all of the Kenpo curriculum as originally taught. They even admit on the site that "nobody will ever really attack you like this in real life."

So what can you call this except for make-believe? The martial arts world is the only one I know of that INTENTIONALLY teaches something that does not work in real life. If I told you that the only way to teach the alphabet was to teach something else, would you believe me? Of course not. But too many "Kroddy" teachers are dirtying the name of the Martial Arts by doing just that. That is like saying that the way to teach someone self defense is to teach them movie style kicks and punches. Bruce Lee almost didnt make the Big Boss because the first director said that he could only kick three times with the same leg. The director had dozens of folks who could  movie fight and make it look fantastic. Bruce Lee has always been a fighter who acts instead of the other way around. So while his technique was not as pretty as others, it was effective in real situations.

If you are "training" but have not gotten into better shape, and hurt, yes HURT in training, you are not training, you are playing. Martial arts cos-play my brother calls it. I for one find playing repulsive when your life is on the line. Your kicks make look nicer than mine, but I will break ribs when it counts while you wrinkle shirts. Have a nice day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home