Name:
Location: Bay Area by way of the 619, United States

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Eagles Claws, Tiger Claws, Bear Claws, OH MY!


Okay folks,

 So that last one was a doughnut. I am going to focus on the first two. I find that in modern Martial Arts study, with the rise of MMA, many artists have gravitated to what is " most practical" As a  Kenpo stylist, a significant part of our arsenal comes from the 5 animal theory. What that means to the layman, is that a solid number of techniques do not include striking with a CLOSED fist. Now don't get me wrong, nothing gets me riled up more than so called "masters" claiming that the closed fist method is LESS effective than open hand strikes. On the other hand, I also get my collective wits all tangled up when boxers and kick-boxers ( SPORT combatants mind you ) insist that open hand strikes are nothing more than glorified noogies and Indian Burns.

This is NOT a case of better or worse, there is only different. The way that I explain my use of open versus closed hand strikes has a lot to do with the technique and am teaching and the scenario. I do NOT want little Johnny using a crane's beak to the eye of a kid who took his lunch money. A reverse punch will do the trick. I want little Juanito to use that technique if a would be kidnapper grabs him.

I want little Susie to elbow some jerk who calls her ugly and pushes her. I want her to use a panther fist to the throat of some pervert who thinks that he can invade her space and violate her. In the Thomas Kenpo Karate method, we live by one main maxim: THE SITUATION WILL DICTATE WHAT YOU DO!

The issue that most people have with open hand techniques, is that they are not drilled properly. I hear people say things like, "how do you know they work if you cannot use them in practice?"  That is a valid question. My answer is that the Thomas Kenpo method has a systematic way of practicing eye pokes, throat attacks and eye raking techniques. We do not leave anything to theory or hypothetical situations. So don't hate on the open hand strikes, because I will totally eagle strike you :)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home