Name:
Location: Bay Area by way of the 619, United States

Monday, December 04, 2006

The standing clinch, and why you need it

My beloved readers. Both of you :)

Ya know what? I made a really interesting observation the other day. In most traditional martial arts, there seems to be a still-standing divide between the standup artists, and the grappling artists. I am not going to go down the road of which is better, we have beaten that to death. But I am going to to make a suggestion that I think we should all heed. Myself included. I have begun my way down the path that I am suggesting. I don't want you to think I am a hypocrite.

The tried and true method of takedown in freestyle wrestling and in mixed martial arts is the double leg takedown. It is so popular because it is in fact so effective. It takes the least amount of energy and is very difficult to defend when the opponent is unsuspecting. It can also lead to very punishing impact that can knock the wind out of your opponent. See Tito Ortiz versus Evan Tanner for illustration.

Now, that works very well in MMA, Judo and in wrestling matches. The mats are soft enough so that you can change levels very easily with minimal risk. Plus, you are loose, limber and ready to rumble in those situations. But let us look at the flip side shall we? You know that I am ALL about realistic self-defense, so here I am trying to help you out.

The old double leg, as stated is very effective in taking someone to the ground. Ideal maybe in a one on one situation. But most of us know that the days of mano a mano, one on one fighting has gone by the wayside. And the problem with the double leg is that it can leave you very vulnerable. You will be on the ground with little ability to see the world around you.

What then, would keep a friend of the person that you are fighting from booting you into outer space? Or worse yet, pulling a tire iron, bat, or knife? While statistically this represents a smaller percentage of fight situations, it is not so small that we should not consider the possibility. I contend that the greatest grappler that I have ever seen, Rickson Gracie could in fact be waylayed by two average fighters in the streets. Now before you start burning my effigy in public places, hear me out. Without a doubt, Rickson would take one of the knuckleheads to the ground with little effort, and be well on his way to mounting and pounding, or securing a fight-ending choke. While this would take him only a few seconds to secure, it would be more than enough time for someone to come and land a crushing blow with a foot or other weapon. End of fight, off to night night time.

But I dare say that I have a more favorable option. Instead of opting for the simpler and decidedly cooler looking double leg takedown, I would recommend a standing clinch tie-up. Now the beauty of the standing clinch, made ever so obvious by Greco-Roman wrestlers, Judoka and Thai-Boxers, is that you can remain standing and still be able to easily avoid being punched or kicked by your opponent. Woo-Hoo! That means that you do not have to go to the ground. Not to mention that standing clinches can be effectively initiated in any clothing. Double leg take-downs are not so easy with jeans, wallets, keys and cell phones thrown into the mix.

The beauty of the standing clinch also is that if a friend of your opponent decides to join the fray, you have not committed your entire body to the clinch. You can still move your feet quite well, and if you have to, keep your clinched opponent in between yourself and the person wanting to join the fight. This tactic works especially well for bouncers and security. They are not looking to subdue someone as much as control them. So that is ideal.

The standing clinch may seem easy to deal with, and it really does look simple. I hear people say all of the time, "why don't they just step back and punch the guy clinching them?" The answer is rather simple, because you can't. An effective clinch prevents you from both freeing your hands, AND finding the distance and angle to do so. Wait a minute, it seems I am forgetting something.

OH YES, I remember!! For you fans of "well what if I want to throw them?" Check out a Greco-Roman wrestling match. Maybe Sambo or Judo. There are a WHOLE lot of effective throws that happen above the waist. Hip throws work particularly well for Judoka, Sambo Players, and Greco-Roman wrestlers. For the Judo fans out there, there are also a whole host of leg trips and reaps that you can use to take the fight out of an opponent. There is not shortage of ways to get down and dirty without literally getting down.

I feel like I have to mention something for the strikers out there who are screaming" What about us!" Come on now, you know I love you guys too! From the standing clinch there is ample room to unload some NASTY knees and elbows from the standing clinch. And while their hands are too tied up to block them, the KO factor increases big time. Anyone doubting the efficacy of the standing clinch for stikers should maybe check out the Shidokan, or some Thai-Boxing matches. My point will be made nicely.

Anyhow folks, I am outta here faster than a turkey on Thanksgiving. Until next time..............

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home