Name:
Location: Bay Area by way of the 619, United States

Thursday, June 14, 2007

The tiny details that you love about martial arts

Folks,

We all love martial arts for a bunch of different reasons. But what are the things that make you love it, day by day? I mean we all like the discipline, the honor, the strength, the confidence...blah blah. But what the little things that make the difference for you? I would like to share a couple of the things for you that make me just love it more every day.

1) The Smell. We all know that a good dojo is not the most aromatic of all places. The thousands of hours and the millions upon millions of sweat droplets that become a part of the decor, just remind me of why I am there. As soon as I bow in, the smell greets me. Maybe I am sick, but I look forward to it.

2) Tying the belt. I imagine that it is kind of like the Native American warriors when they put on their war paint. Something serious is going to happen. Somethings sacred. Nothing centers me more in this world, than hearing the sound of my knot becoming hard at my waist.

3) The fatigue. I dont mean" whew I am tired" I mean "HOLY CRAP, I cant move!" Nothing is more gratifying than that feeling where you are sure that you cannot throw one more punch, one more kick, one more knee, or one more throw. The gasping, labored breaths are a reminder that this is serious business.

4) The sting. You know what I mean. When you punched until your hands are throbbing. When you have kicked that unforgiving pad until the tops of your feet or shins feel raw. Or let's not forget that special feeling of the hot shower afterward, when the hot shower and soap make it feel THAT much better. LOL!

5) The aliveness. That feeling that despite the pain, the discomfort, the fatigue, when you KNOW you will be back tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home