Name:
Location: Bay Area by way of the 619, United States

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Feeling comfortable in guard

Guys,


This is for all of my grapplers out there, especially sport ones. A lot of you guys cite that the main difference between the striking arts and some of the grappling arts is that you can defend yourself from your back. Now for the most part, that is a decent point. But the sport grappling technique will get you elbowed, forearmed or just generally pounded on until you go to sleep. I contend that fighting from your back is that last thing that should be on your mind.



I know that it is okay to be proficient when fighting from your back. It really is a good thing. But the idea of being comfortable I think leads to a destructive mindset. Even Helio Gracie admitted that he never CHOSE to develop his guard game, he HAD to. I think that the guard jumping and all of that stuff cause real problems. If you would like a demonstration, or an articulation of said point, here I go:


I have heard people say that you fight the way you practice. I am in pretty much in agreement with that saying. If you practice in a cooperative environment, you will do pretty well against those who cooperate. Case in point, boxers do well against other boxers. Taekwondo guys do well against other kickers and so forth. Anyone will do rather well against those who "agree" to fight in the way that they are fighting.

Now, stay with me, MOST martial artists do NOT train realistically. Since today's rant is particularly against sport jujitsu grapplers, I will focus on them. My first point is that most grappling schools do NOT practice their takedowns. I am granting an exception for jukoka, wrestlers and samboists. From what I have seen, most jujitsu schools start their randori from the knees, completely eliminating the need for takedowns, and takedown defense. Now, I understand the rationale behind this. The explanation goes something like this. " We can't have everyone at once practicing takedowns. It is too easy for people to crash into each other and get hurt." BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!. I think that this is a cop-out. Any jujitsuka out there will not be able to use their skills if they are not able to achieve an effective clinch. Practice your darn takedowns.

Wait a minute........Yup, I just got off track. I came here to hate on the guard game of most sport grapplers. Now dont get me wrong. I have watched the Mundial competition, ADCC and a whole host of other sport grappling tourneys. And I like them. But when people go to their sport classes and think that all of their skills transfer to real self-defense, they are mistaken. I find a lot of sport grapplers using a lot of sophisticated guard techniques that require the use of the gi. That is okay for sport. Problem is that most of them leave your face WIDE open. The spider guard and the X guard will get you hurt. I mean, wake in up in the ICU asking"Where am I?" kind of hurt.

I think that a lot of guys forget that the guard is a last resort position. Your main goal as a grappler should be to achieve the mount position or to take the back of your opponent. In a real fight, concrete, hardwood, a bar or club floor is the wrong place to be if you can help it. And if you have to be there, the mount position, or the knee on stomach position are usually the best. We all know that the guard can get you punted by your opponents friends, or stepped on in a melee. My solution is simple. Do NOT plan on using your guard! EVER!!

You may be tackled by a larger stronger opponent. If that is the case, the guard should be used to hunt for the quick submission hold. If you cannot do that, then the guard should be used to sweep your opponent and get into a better position, hopefully the mount or knee on stomach position. The last thing on your mind should be trying to finesse your opponent into a cool submission like the ones you see in class.

More importantly, without the proper takedown practice, I see a lot of guys who are willing to concede a takedown. Bad idea!! Fight for the top position!!! If you fight the way that you practice, then you need to practice harder. Dont ever feel that the guard is an okay place to be. If you feel comfortable in the guard in class, you may feel comfortable there in a fight. If you have a great spider guard in class, you may find that out of instinct, you may try it in a fight. That instinct could lead you into some unplanned face punchery. Or some elbow smashery. After all, your face is WIDE open. So for goodness sakes, learn to get on top. The guard should only account for about 30% of your practice. Spend your time learning to get mounted or side-mounted. Guaranteed, that when you need it, that is where you will end up to. Now, I gotta go. The Boondocks is about to come on, and I never miss it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home