Name:
Location: Bay Area by way of the 619, United States

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Are you a machine gunner or a sniper?

Hey folks,

When I bring up machine guns and snipers I am not talking about gun skills. I am talking about fighting styles. When I say that, I dont mean TKD versus escrima versus jiujitsu. I mean, in what style do you implement your attacks?

A sniper is usually more of a tactician. He usually looks for the right spot, looking to cause maximal damage with every blow. Snipers often come from sport fighting backgrounds. They are highly skilled in striking precise targets with great accuracy. Then, lithe as a matador, can bounce out of danger with nary on scratch on their person. Now granted sport fighters do not often strike with full power, but one cannot deny the skill that it takes to land their strikes with such consistency. If you would like to check out some skilled snipers, you dont have to look far. In the good old days, Thomas LaPuppet could hit you and be out of dodge like nobody's business. Bill Wallace was also a guy that could lay a mean kick on you without taking one in return. Ray Wizard and "Ridge" are just a couple of guys who could cover space like lightning and lower one mean coup de grace. If mixed martial arts are your thing, check out Takanori Gomi. What he lacks in numbers of punches, he makes up for in power. Watch his match against Jens Pulver. He crushed Jens, a man with pro boxing experience, with a measured body attacks. Then while he had Jens thinking about those rib shots, one uppercut sent Jens crashing to the mat seperated from his senses. Mirko Cro-Cop, the head-kicking nightmare is another example. He has been a consistent highlight real producer, with a pile-driver left hand, and a movie-perfect head kick.

Now, on the other hand, there are machine gunners. Machine gunners are guys who often overwhelm their opponent, as much with their ferocity as skill level. While they may not throw every punch with knockout conviction they will throw punches, kicks and everything else until you fall down. In boxing, Sugar Ray Leonard was a good example of a man who could dissect you with bunches of punches. Duane "The Bang" is a Thai Boxer turned mixed martial artists who is famous for throwing salvos of techniques from every direction. Watch his matches from King of the Cage and Gladiator Challenge. Also Vitor Belfort is an example of a machine gunner. Early in his career, he blazed his way through opponents in sub minute time frames. Machine gunner are firm believers in " If at first you dont succeed."

Now personally, I am a born sniper. I have had a lot of success striking what I want,when I want. It has worked for me. But I also want to develop as a martial artist, so I am trying to become more of machine gunner. I want to throw a lot of strikes that all do damage. And what will that make me? Better I suppose :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home