Name:
Location: Bay Area by way of the 619, United States

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Forget about wearing someone down

Folks,





I think that there is an attitude out there that could very well cost someone their life. People who are well trained in combat sports are often the victim of this kind of thinking," I have been boxing for years and I KNOW my hands are better than his." I have seen some excellent sport combatants apply the rules of their sport to a real fight. Sometimes the results were good. Other times they were disastrous.





I just recently watched a show about Krav Maga on the Discovery Channel. Now I rather enjoyed the fact that they were training a certain kind of mindset as well as fight skills. I asked for the opinions of some folks on nhbgear.com and got some interesting opinions. All I got was a lot of links to mcdojo krav maga schools and even more sarcasm. I think that some people missed the point of the show. I thought that it made a clear distinction between the comprehensive combat arts, and prize fighters. I was told that the Americans were being hazed and that there was no realism.



Now as far as I remember, the Israelis have been a battle hardened people. I cannot imagine that they would train in a system that is ineffective in war times. They do not have the luxury of training for sport in the military. They train to kill. The difference in mindset is amazing. If you are assured that your opponent will not try to kill you, you can make certain concessions during your match. Combat has no guarantess.

But what I liked was that these guys never retreated. Not to say that in certain instances, retreating is not necessary. But the idea of moving forward to destroy your opponent is one that many martial artists are missing. From a mental standpoint, the person who can sustain their attack will win/survive the altercation. Dont take my word folks, look it up.

Anyhow, what I am saying is: Dont focus too much on strategy. Learn to overwhelm your opponent with your technical skill and your ferocity. Your training should hone your instincts to react to whatever is going on in front of you. Remember, our goal is survival, not glory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home