Name:
Location: Bay Area by way of the 619, United States

Friday, March 14, 2008

The side kick.

Guys,



I am gonna have a little fun with this one. When I mention sidekick, I dont mean that electronic thingamagig that everyone has these days. I dont mean that little jeep that Suzuki used to make. I am talking about the real side kick, also known as the side thrust kick. I have been a fan of this kick for a long time, as I know many of you are. I also have heard some of the most ridiculous things of all time regarding said kick. So without any futher delay.................... Here I go!!



I recently spoke with some Muay Thai and MMA enthusiasts, and they were talking about how the side kick was not very useful. After I rolled my eyes, I asked them to explain. The Muay Thai guys told me that in Muay Thai matches, a side kick would expose their hamstrings to leg kicks. I said, you are correct, they CAN expose your hamstrings. The funny thing is, that in almost every instance, they were talking about the use of side kicks by point karate fighters. They mentioned how they could just walk through those side kicks and then maul a point fighter. I mentioned things off the top of my head. I asked them, did the side kicks land? They usually said "yes." So I mentioned that the strike did land. Then I mentioned that the focus on point karate and the like was not to knock the opponent out, just to land cleanly. Now I personally have a grievance with that mindset, because I think that it can be dangerous in a self defense situation.

I also threw in that if the side kick was thrown with the real intent to hurt or injure someone, it is likely that "walking through" side kicks was not a good option. I personally have used side kicks against Muay Thai boxers with success on a number of occasions. How? By throwing them at unusual targets. I used the superior reach of the side kicks to strike the shoulder and the arms. I know that it sounds kind of funny, but that really hurts. In a self defense situation, kick someone in the fingers, or in the hand. Dollars to doughnuts (mmm doughnuts) says that they wont be making a fist anytime soon :) But maybe that is just me.

Now for the mixed martial arts fellows, I hear the same crappola. It usually sounds like this "If you do a side kick, you are vulnerable to a takedown." I immediately crack a smile. I remind them that one of the better wrestlers in the UFC has taken a couple of side kicks on more than one occasion. If you dont know what I mean, check out the matches between Matt Hughes and Georges St. Pierre. Or check out Anderson Silva versus Rich Franklin. Or if you want to go vintage, you can check out WRESTLER Mike Van Arsdale side kick Jujitsu brown belt Joe Pardoe off his feet in an early event. You can always make the argument of " That doesnst happen very often." I will agree and then say," That is because there are not a lot of skilled kickers in MMA."

I am tired and kinda sleepy, so I am going to leave it at this: Viva la Side Kick!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home