Name:
Location: Bay Area by way of the 619, United States

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Dropping your hands during a roundhouse kick.

Folks,

I have pondered this for a long time, and I cannot come up with any reasonable answers. My question is: "Why in tarnation do Thai boxers think that it is okay to drop your hands during a rear leg roundhouse?" I cannot figure it. I have heard the excuses and "logic" plenty of times. I know, I know, it helps generate power. But as you have likely seen countless times in in a dojo, match or in MMA, it can lead to disaster. By know, most of you know that the cross is the perfect counter to the rear leg roundhouse. If you dont know, keep watching folks, you will see it soon enough.

It is bad enough that Thai-Boxers are content with their horrible footwork. To be stationary and then to expose your chin during a kick is suicidal to me. I think that folks need to think a little more about how dangerous this practice is. It is one thing to do a sport when EVERYONE is playing by your rules. It is a very dangerous practice in a situation for self defense. This is especially true when you consider how much your mobility is compromised when you wear street clothes. You cannot kick as high, and it is even easier to counter a low kick than it is a high kick. If you need an example look at the Lyoto Machida versus Thierry Sokoudju match or when Renato "Babalu" Sobral lost to Jason Lambert. They were absolutely crushed while attempting "text-book" roundhouse kicks inthe Thai-style. If a picture says a thousand words, two crushing knock outs speak voumes. Keep your hands up!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home