Name:
Location: Bay Area by way of the 619, United States

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Yes, katas again

Folks, I feel a need to speak on this, because folks seem not to get it. YES, we need katas. Katas are a library for all of the techniques of our system. I hear a lot of MMA guys down-talking kata. I even hear about how some people claim to have tossed out the katas in their system for the sake of realism. I mean, wow folks, are you really that far gone? That was sarcasm, the answer is "most people are." For all of the MMA guys who call each other "bro" all the time, here is a hint. If you can fluidly perform the often acrobatic moves in a kata, you probably have pretty good balace. Do we need balance? Ask anyone who in the UFC light heavyweight division how hard it is to take down BJ Penn. Or how about the agility that it takes to launch a double flying knee Jose Aldo style? Katas build better balance. So there, now you know How about repetition? Well since most katas provide numerous strikes, repetitions are executed in ideal conditiions. We should all know by now that repetition is the mother of mastery. Do you know why Marcelo has a better arm drag than you do? He practices it. A LOT. Do you know why picking up a stick to spar with Ernesto Presas is a horrible idea? Because his name is in the dictionary next to rattan stick. Do you know why Joon Rhee can still have my lunch money? Because he has done more roundhouse kick reps than I have. Hundreds of thousands more. Kata is way to perform your techniques without distractions, so that you can perform them correctly. If there were no kata, how would you know the difference between an MMA competitor, and all of those jokers who have no idea how important katas are? You wouldnt most likely. If there were katas, what would you teach folks who have limited mobility or maybe even mental capacity? I have taught a girl with Down Syndrome kata, but never an armbar from the guard. Katas count, dont sleep on them. I was going to go all loco about this, but I lost my train of thought. Breakout Kings are on, and that show is like catnip to me :) I love cheesy action shows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home