Name:
Location: Bay Area by way of the 619, United States

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Training for sport or for real

Folks,

I have more of an observation more than anything today. I was just watching the ultimate fighter on television. For those of you who dont know, ultimate fighting is a competition that allows a number of different martial arts disciplines in the same competition. For example, there is no break up of a clinch like in boxing. You are able to punch when the fight hits the mat, unlike wrestling. And yes, judo throws and submission (pain compliance) holds are thrown in the mix also.

Anyhow, I notice that after 13 years of ultimate fighting, there are certain trends emerging. For example, ultimate fighting is no longer touted as a style versus style competition. No more TKD versus boxing versus karate versus jiujitsu. Now the athletes crosstrain, and because of that, I have noticed some odd things. For example, it seems that the creativity of the fighters has ended. In the earlier days, techniques were being created at a breakneck pace. Now, a new set of truisms have set in, and they seemed to be engraved in stone. In the old days, practitioners of ultimate fighting competitions were contemptuos of traditional martial arts. They claimed that the old methods were obsolete, ineffective and just all around of no value. They quoted Bruce Lee in his assertions that the dogmatic ways of many martial arts schools were in fact killing the arts.

But now, in this alleged age of enlightenment, I see the old trends emerging. Only boxing is used for handstrikes, only Muay Thai for kicks. I see only wrestling takedowns, and classic jiujitsu submission holds. Wake up guys, soon enough these rules to which you cling will become the dogma that you claim to despise.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I really like your blog. I have a website on shotokan karate kata that you might find of interest. Here's the link. Have a look at it and let me know what you think.

10:51 PM  
Blogger DethStryque said...

This is a really good read,Anthony.I enjoy your perspectives and opinions and suggestions.However,I'm not sure that I agree with you in that there is LESS innovation in MMA matches.I think that the emphasis for certain training methods may have changed and broadened.Whereas the actual TECHNIQUES were the issue back in the day--not everyone knew how to be sicc in the guard,for instance--the main issues now seem to be endurance,tactics and being able to strike concussively no matter what the position that we find ourselves in.

I still think that both the striking AND submission skills of the athletes will have to improve and improve dramatically,but recall about 5 years ago I predicted that Olympic TKD kicks would find their way into more popular usage in both K-1 and MMA matchers,and lo and behold they have.Back kicks and axe kicks,are pretty common now,whereas before they would have been treated as suicidal and blashpemous to even ATTEMPT in the Octagon.

Now I predict that the actual performance wavelength of submission artists will increase and change the game back toward SPEEDY submissions,and I think that this will lead to a sharper and sharper refinement of striking skills AND ground controls,to counter the threat of submission.Just like what happened before,when jiujitsu first compelled this worldwide training transformation...and then Frank Shamrock turned the world on its ear by establishing the first comprehensively effective cross-training paradigm.As I stated 3 years ago,the strikers will be digging to the body more,and we may be surprised by the return and application of "traditional" techniques like palms on the ground and even the venerable knife hand strike.i won't be surprised to see a sudden spike in the usage of the spinning elbow,or jump LOW kicks...which is my favorite surprise kick,lol.

Okay,I'm out.Love ya blog,man...keep it coming.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home